5/09/2011

Injured.

My Grandma is a nurse. Growing up she would always ask me "Are you going to be a nurse?".  My answer?

No.

Literally every single thing medical makes me cringe. I don't know how to explain it. My stomach doesn't turn, but it gets nervous. My joints tingle. I feel like I want to pull my arms and legs in and not look at or listen to whatever injury, condition or disgusting nursing is the topic of the moment. 

I pretty much made it through my childhood unscathed. I was only on antibiotics... once? I've never broken a bone. I've never even been checked out by a doctor for possibly breaking a bone. I'm pretty much free of injuries. Although, in first grade, I did skin my knee while biking and had to sit out of field day. Oh, and junior year of college I did cut my leg while shaving and it continued to bleed for what seemed like EVER. But, really, that's all I've got.

I avoid those things at all costs.

I also avoid wrists at all costs.  I literally cannot look at the underside of my wrists. Or your wrists. Or wrists on TV. Or thinking about maybe having to see my wrists. Or your wrists. Or wrists on TV. I don't know why. Nothing has ever happened to my wrists before. Even thinking about something happening to my wrists makes me uncomfortable and breathe deep to try to get my composure back.  Oh gosh. I hate it.

Last week when showering and shaving, I thought I saw a varicose vein on my calf. I had to stop shaving. I had to get out of the shower and lay down. I had to call Natalie and ask her if I was going to die or if the vein was going to pop out of my leg. She had to coach me into looking at my leg again. I couldn't find the varicose vein. She ended the phone call. I called my mom. She said "Oh, your grandma has them. I have some too." I got off the phone and had to lay down.  I can't imagine a life where I can see veins on my legs. I don't know how I'll function if that varicose vein comes back.

The point of all this? I fell on Saturday. I got up. I walked home. I went to sleep. I woke up. I called Natalie. She said take two aspirin and wear tennis shoes.

I don't like tennis shoes. Wearing tennis shoes to the Ranger's game will make me look like a lesbian. And not the cool, sexy kind. The butch kind that wears wet hair buns. 

I wore sandals. And SPF. Took two aspirins and walked it off, only to come home and remove the sandals and find out- woops. Not the best idea. My ankle was hugely swollen. I immediately felt sick. I had to lay down. I started to cry. There wasn't actual pain - I just can't look at that! I called my mom. Tears. So sad. WHAT DO I DO? She chatted nicely to me and told me to elevate my leg and get ice. I stopped crying and then she asked "Megan, you're never going to have children, are you?". My answer?

No. 

Long story shorter... the nurse at the office clinic agrees my ankle is swollen and requested an x-ray. It was my first x-ray in my entire life and it wasn't very exciting. The lady x-raying me wasn't even very nice. We're hoping the ankle isn't chipped. If it is.... well, I just don't know what I'll do.

I have some great new followers though, which is about as much excitement I can take right now.

Baltimore is taking over my blog right now! This might be the only time I'm so pleased with all this Baltimore in my life! Follower 66 is boyfriend of Roommate Michelle...Eric. Eric was a TOTAL trooper on Saturday night of Circle reunion and was able to hang with (and handle - no small feat) all six of us! Follower 67 is JenY and is one of Roommate Michelle's bff's from home. I've played with JenY in EC, VT and PSU.
Follower 68 is Jono, and based on the terms of his followership, he will get a very special blog post later this week. Follower 69 is Courtney who I've never met but know her because she comments or likes all of Michelle and Jay's statuses. She made my Monday by sending me my first official piece of fan mail via Facebook and also requested my friendship! So amazing. Follower 70 is Harrison, who I met at the bar last week while he was chat chat chatting with Roommate Erin. Always recruiting for ABCw, I asked him if he would follow my blog, and, true to his word, I had follower 70 by the time I woke up on Friday!

I know 100 by 25 might be too much to ask... but, wouldn't that be the best birthday present ever??

Also - voting for favorite  next Meet My Follower continues with Mom Daly taking off with 50% of the votes!


1 comment:

  1. HA I love it! You are just like Allie! (I am one of Allie's co-workers btw)

    ReplyDelete